Righto, here’s my fedi-tips:
- it’s slower here, less addictive than corp social media. This is a good thing, try and enjoy it.
- you see what you follow. No ads, no obscure reshuffling, no manipulating your emotions. Enjoy that too.
- please consider using CWs. Could it hurt, shock, upset, harm?
- please describe your pictures if you can
- give benefit of the doubt: text easily misleads
- shared something negative? Maybe follow with positive action.
- fash, queerphobes, bigots: fuck off 💚
Oh, here’s some more:
- locking your account is good. You can decide who sees your stuff and feel safer, but also: you get to know who follows you by checking them out before approving.
- related to that: put something in your bio so people know what your deal is
- block / mute at will. You get to tend to your garden and you deserve to feel happy.
- punch up, not down
- but also, welcome here and pay me no mind
- cryptobros and NFT scammers fuck off 💚
@Loy @stragu content warnings/content notices.
It's like a subject for a post/thread. Used to indicate the topic and things that might upset or harm others (like the description of violence) but also for jokes it just as short topic so the timeline doesn't get flooded by a very long post. Usually one needs to open a CW'ed postb with a button,n although it's possible to open all posts of a thread at once. Clients can be configured to open CW posts always.
@stragu I'll add that finding a well-fitting instance takes a bit of time and can be hard to do from the outside but is totally worth the effort
Not really new here, but what is exctly what you call CW ?
Clock Wise ?
(Sorry, English is not my native language)
it stands for "Content Warning"
@antglythistimeforrl that’s a good start, but I do post non-CW’d things here I wouldn’t say at work (e.g. some cursing) and also, I do CW stuff that I publicly broadcast more because I can’t be sure of who it will reach (e.g. food. Colleagues don’t mind my food but people here can have eating disorders.)
@stragu I am psyched about the CWs tbh, I always try to use them for Twitter posts but this is easier and ppl don't have to actually train their eyes not to read the rest of the post
when you say describe your pictures though: does that mean we can't add alt text? or is alt text what you're talking about?
@raphaelmorgan yes yes, it's alt text I'm talking about, on Mastodon you can easily add alt text by clicking the "Edit" button on the picture, nice and easy :)
@stragu Sadly I find it more addicting here because of the environment.
I don’t feel like I’m just wasting time quite as badly though.
@maddiefuzz as long as you find a good balance and it fills you with you good stuff! 🙂
I did get mega addicted a few months ago, but it was very much related to being in a bit of a rut in my life and using Masto as an unhealthy, late-night escape…
@stragu Ahh, yeah. I’m definitely trying to find a healthy balance.
My interactions here have been much better, more productive, more enjoyable. I just have an issue with not over-doing it. The life of diagnosed yet untreatable ADHD I suppose.
I managed to curb my internet use in the past, I think I’ll be successful in finding a balance for mastodon.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!